Help! Do I have vaginismus?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Help! Do I have vaginismus?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    girl1777
    Participant

Firstly, I understand that online diagnosis are difficult and that I should consult a doctor if I’m concerned. But thinking about my sexual experiences and reading about vaginismus, I am really worried that I have this condition and I need advice!

I’m 18 and have only tried to have sex once because penetration wasn’t achievable. Much of what I experienced was described as the common symptoms that women experience such as, feeling like it was ‘hitting a wall’. Also, when I started menstruating I’ve never been able to use to tampon (mind you, I’ve only tried once since I first started, so I’m not sure if this counts as a real attempt?)

I hope I’m not being too personal, but I do masturbate regularly. However I am only able to really use one finger. I enjoy the feeling of penetration, it just feels like not much can fit.

So, from what I have described does it sound like vaginismus?

Heather34
    Participant

Hi girl 1777. There is an excellent Blog (link below) regarding Help for Determining if you have Vaginismus:

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/ho-do-i-know-if-i-have-vaginismus/

“Vaginismus symptoms vary from the ability to use tampons and tolerate GYN exams but not intercourse, whereas others are unable to tolerate any form of penetration. These various vaginismus symptoms often predict the severity of vaginismus. Just as no two women are exactly alike, each woman may experience vaginismus symptoms in her own unique way. It is incumbent upon your vaginismus treatment provider to understand your symptoms and determine the best course of treatment action. “

I don’t know if you do have the condition b/c I’m not a medical professional but some of what you describe sounds similar to what I experienced with it (i.e. ‘hitting the wall’ feeling). I would urge you to contact Dr. Pacik and work with him in any way possible. Please know we are all here to support you!!!

girl1777
    Participant

Hi Heather34 🙂

Thank you so much for your response and support! I have read the links you have provided and have found them to be very helpful. Unfortunately, I do not reside in the US and so it’s unlikely I would be able to contact Dr. Pacik.

So in order for me to get a definitive diagnosis, is it recommended that I consult my own doctor?

Heather34
    Participant

Hi there. I think it would be a great idea to visit your own doctor there. I found a previous post that includes a sample script for Talking to Doctors about Vaginismus. You can tweak the script to fit your situation and this may really help:

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=577

Sample Script: Self-Guided History of Sexual Pain 1. Introduce the problem: “I have been having problems with pain during sex and hope you will be able to help me.” 2.Provide a description of the pain (be specific): •It happens when …”my husband tries insert his penis in my vagina” or “once he is inside and starts to move I feel burning and tighten up”, etc. •The pain is located …”at the entrance to my vagina. My vagina is like a wall; he just cannot get it in.” or “after he is inside I feel burning around the penis just inside the entrance”, etc. •The pain lasts …”as long as he keeps trying, especially if we try forcing it in. Once he stops there is no pain.” •This has been happening since …”our honeymoon two years ago and has continued to happen every time we try to have sex” (primary vaginismus) or “my hysterectomy eight months ago”(secondary vaginismus), etc. [Note: Inform your doctor if you have been able to previously have sexual intercourse without pain.] •It feels like …”burning”, “stinging”, “like he’s hitting a wall”, “tightness during/on entry”, etc. •I have tried to reduce or eliminate the pain by …”using lubricant, changing sexual positions, relaxing more.” •I am able / unable to …”insert a tampon or complete a gynecological exam.” 3.Mention any past problems: Have you previously had any sexually transmitted diseases, yeast infections, bladder problems, or any pelvic pain outside of penetration? 4.State what you think the problem is: “I think it may be vaginismus. My symptoms are similar to those outlined in an article I read. However, I have read there are other things that can cause pain during sex and would like to have them ruled out.”

Please know that we are all here to support you. This is a hard thing to go through and what often makes it harder is feeling like the only one that has it. I remember going through my 20s with it and not telling anyone except my then boyfriend/now husband and it was so hard. Please know that so many of us on here either have or have had vaginismus and we are here for you!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.