First post: Excited or Scared

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General First post: Excited or Scared

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lauxo
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    I’m new to the forum, so I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been meaning to do this but really didn’t know what to say. There is so much on my mind I have no idea where to start.
    I’m at the point now where I have no idea if I’m really excited to finally get this problem resolved or if I’m nervous/scared that it won’t work on me. From what I’ve read on the forums, I know I’m not alone. Someone else put it perfectly when they said they (I’m paraphrasing) were worried that they would get there and spend the money on the procedure only to find out they didn’t have vaginismus and there would be nothing Dr. Pacik’s office could do to help them. That is my exact concern! I’m fresh out of college so this is a huge step financially for me. What if it doesn’t even work!

If anyone has any advice to squash these concerns of mine, I would greatly appreciate it. I think I might be working myself up more just posting this…

23years
    Participant

Hello! I’ve had the big V for 23 years and it may have been my post you read because my surgery is scheduled for June 30th and you are NOT alone with your feelings or thoughts. I can tell you only from my own experience, but I’d be willing to bet others could relate, that just talking about the problem sends your anxiety up a few notches. I believe firmly this is “normal” and as a result of holding things in because you’ve had one or more or several negative experiences sharing or talking about it or a post traumatic type reaction about it.

I know I don’t have any great solutions to the anxiety because its been a roller coaster for me as well. However, so you don’t feel alone, or like no one hears you or cares, I want you to know that “I” hear you and “I” care because “I” can relate perfectly to your feelings and thoughts. You are not alone and no fear or anxiety is abnormal when it comes to what we deal with. I feel like sometimes that this is all too good to be too true. I can’t help thinking those things. I believe the only way we will be reassured is to go through the process bravely, come out the other side, and confidently know we have reached a better place. But I’m very open to hearing others points of view.

Hugs to you. I am so much older than you but I feel SO happy for you that you found this forum and Dr Pacik at this point in your life. That’s a positive thing right there!!

Just know you are not alone…

Heather34
    Participant

Hi lauxo. I, too, am so, so happy you have found Dr. Pacik’s website and this forum. The Forum is a tremendous avenue of support as so many of the girls are either going through or have gone through exactly what you are experiencing right now and we are all here to support you. I, too, struggled with vaginismus for several years and the majority of my relationship and marriage prior to finding Dr. Pacik’s treatment. I tried several other treatments prior, including using dilators on my own, PT, biofeedback, etc. and nothing worked. Thus, I was convinced that this, too, would not work. My husband, on the other hand, wanted to try it and we did … thank God. We had the procedure on June 27th and were able to have pain-free intercourse on July 4th and continue to enjoy such. There are so many different elements that I believe made this program work when all of the others didn’t and Dr. Pacik himself was definitely the biggest factor. In addition to being kind, caring, and compassionate, he is also incredibly knowledgeable about all aspects of vaginismus and the symptoms experienced, including heightened anxiety and the physical resistance feeling with any attempted insertion. I want to share one of my favorite Blogs from Dr. Pacik with you:

Vaginismus Treatment – The 1, 2, 3 Punch: http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-treatment-the-123-punch/

Excerpts include: “The first punch is the injection of Botox under anesthesia. This is the knockout punch for the spastic muscle at the entry of the vagina (the “closed fist”). It will be unable to recover for about four months. The second punch is the progressive dilation under anesthesia, stretching the tight muscle(s). Once these muscles are weakened and stretched under anesthesia, the continued post treatment dilation keeps these muscles stretched. The third punch is reduction of anxiety. It is well known that fear and anxiety play an important role in continued spasm of the entry muscle. The brain says “PAIN“, the vagina responds with a protective reflex “NO ENTRY“. Once fear and anxiety lessen and women are able to tolerate penetration as well as having comfortable pain free intercourse, this protective reflex appears to diminish, and the reflexive spasm of the vaginal muscles appears to disappear.” It goes on to describe the importance of post-procedure care: “The three punches described must be combined with careful post-procedure monitoring, which includes the review of daily logs to help patients with their post-procedure dilation program. The counseling done after treatment is of utmost importance to help women understand what needs to be done when they return home and the steps needed to succeed in having pain free intercourse.”

Please know we are all here for you. Sending support and hugs!!!

lauxo
    Participant

Thank you both for your replies.
    After just getting off the phone with Dr. Pacik and reading your replies I feel so much more confident.
    I am still nervous, but feel so glad I am not alone. I can’t even being to describe how great it feels to hear back from people who actually get it when even my doctor in the past didn’t get it.
    Thank you

galaxygal
    Participant

Hi lauxo,
    I am having the procedure in July and am feeling a lot of the same emotions as you. You are not alone. I am just taking one step at a time and I am staying positive as much as I can. I started to see a counselor when I decided to look into treatment options and she told be about visualization. It takes about 2 to 3 minutes to do and is helping me when I feel anxious. I close my eyes and start to think of my favorite place in the world or my favorite thing to do and combine that with some deep breathing. For me, it is going to the beach on a warm, clear day and watching the waves hit the rocks. Just sharing in case this might be helpful for you. I know that on procedure day I will be doing some of this to get rid of any anxiety I have.
    Galaxygal

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.