Feel burning when first try the dilator#3

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Feel burning when first try the dilator#3

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rainbowbaby
    Participant

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum, hope can get more support and clear my doubt, thanks all.

I having my dilator training recently. #1 and 2 is alright. But for #3 for first time, I feel burning in the vagina when it go deep in, after take out the burning gone. Is it normal? I don’t have such burning for #1&2. Should I continue?

mazemelissa

Hi Rainbowbaby,

This is very normal. The burning sensation you are feeling is from the muscles stretching. The #1 and #2 dilators are small, so were not pushing the muscles into too much of a stretch, so very little burning. Once you start moving to larger sizes, the burning feeling becomes more noticeable, and can be pretty intense at first. Especially with the first pass of the dilator through the introitus. For many women once the dilator passes through the tightest part at the entrance, the the body adjusts to the dilator inside, the burning will dissipate a bit. As you continue to work through the #3 dilator, the burning feeling should lessen. You might find that the burning sensation is not 100% gone until you can insert the next size dilator. Some of my patients find that until they stretch larger than the current dilator, it always gives a little bit of a burning feeling.

It sounds like you are doing fantastic. Keep it up, and let us know how you are doing.

Melissa

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Rainbowbaby, congrats on making it to the third dilator! Melissa is totally right – this was how it felt for me when I was dilating, and it’s totally normal. I know it can be scary when discomfort becomes part of the dilation, but it’s the pain that means the body is doing exactly what it needs to do to prepare for sex. I recommend getting super comfortable with each size (wiggling it around and moving it in and out repeatedly) before moving to the next one, but as you move up you’ll get more used to this feeling.

You’re totally on the right track! Good luck with the dilating and keep it up!

Hatuey
    Participant

I have done dilator 3 for 2 weeks a little sore but I am able to do it reasonably well. I am very nervous to move to number 4 if I am sore because I think it will make dilating sorer. Has anyone got any advice on the best way to move forward

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hatuey, my advice would be to wait until you can insert a dilator without discomfort and can move it around inside you and take it in and out several times successfully in the same session. A little soreness after is still normal from the muscles stretching, but being able to work with the dilator has more to do with how well you’re progressing. You can also try dilator number 4 and just see how much harder you find it, and if you don’t feel ready, move back to number 3 for awhile. There is no one correct timeline, so trust what your body is telling you!

Hatuey
    Participant

Do you think the use of a numbing lubricant could hlep initailly to help me move to a number 4 dilator, I have been on a 3 for over 3 weeks now and I still feel soreness. My regime is to move the dilator in and out 20 times which I am able to. Ihad botox on the 5th June. Do i still have time and what is happening fairly normal

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi Hatuey – I used a numbing lubricant for awhile after my botox procedure and I think it definitely helped. I think if you’re able to insert and remove your current dilator 20 times, it could be good to move up a size and try working with it. You definitely still have time, so don’t worry about that! Botox lasts for anywhere from 3 to 6 months if I remember correctly, so you have plenty of time to keep exploring and get comfortable with using the dilators!

Hatuey
    Participant

Thank you for all the advice. One more question. Is it reasonably normal to feel soreness and discomfort while actually doing the dilating. I worry that when I do try intercourse it will be sore then, The soreness has not dissipated, Does it mean that I am simply stretching the muscles and that is why I feel soreness. Is it just the case that I need to spend more time dilating before moving on. I feel pretty low as my provider (who has offered no more help) informed me after botox I would be able to have sex after 2 weeks. I am so confused. I do not know what is right and what is wrong. Regarding numbing cream/gel can you recommend one and how to apply it.

Wolsey
    Participant

Hi I am new to the forum. I had botox and hymonectomy 6 weeks ago in london.I started dilating 3 weeks ago after having a follow up appointment.To be honest I have been left to my own devices now and I am not sure what I am doing is right or wrong. I dilate every night sliding the dilator in 20 times. I have been using 3 and it has been sore. I tried 4 and it was very sore so planning to return to three. London told me the process would take 2 weeks is this right

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hatuey – yes, you’re just stretching the muscles! Even intercourse will make you sore for awhile as you get used to it, but this is totally normal. I recommend moving on once you can take out and put in the dilator. Also, I said this to you in another thread but it bears repeating – your provider shouldn’t be promising you when you’ll be able to have intercourse. It’s a process and every body is different. Keep working steadily and you’ll get there in the end!

As for numbing gel, you can get some and mix it in with lubricant – the doctors on this forum will know more about this.

Wolsey
    Participant

Last night I tried Dilator 4 and I had shooting pain just like I had before the botox treatment. It is clear I have to stay on 3 for longer.I feel my provider in all ways has misinformed me.He told me I would suffer no pain. Is the pain I am suffered just part of the routine and I should chill.

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Wolsey, I’m sorry you’re feeling doubts about your provider – I think you should definitely listen to what your body is telling you as I think your provider may have created an overly ambitious timeline for whatever reason. It’s definitely not the case that a person dilating suffers NO pain – the discomfort and soreness of your muscles stretching is a necessary part of the process. But yes, avoid shooting pains if possible and give yourself grace to go at your own speed and make headway on the timeline that makes sense for your body.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.