Fainted with tampon, discouraged

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Fainted with tampon, discouraged

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    evett87
    Participant

Hi ladies !

So I’m writing to you still shaking and sweating.
    Half an hour ago I tried to insert a thin tampon with applicator inside me. I used lubrifiants and I was breathing deeply to relax. It was my firstreal attempts. It was difficult and uncomfortable but I could insert half of it. I was super happy for a few seconds and then PAF suffenly felt faint, nausea, blurry vision and I fainted for a few seconds. I woke up sweaty and with headache… What do you think caused this?

Honestly I feel a bit discouraged, how will I ever want to try to insert anything again? I’m just scared I’m going to faint again, it’s really nit a nice feeling…

I was also able to insert a finger partly before that incident.

The resaon I’ve been pushing myself is because I met a guy… we’ve been seeing each other for a few weeks. He’s the first one I’m letting in my life. Ive been avoiding men for about 3 years because of vaginismus. He wants to get more intimate now… I want it too… He doesnt about my condition, and I would never tell him becase we work together and if anything goes wrong between us 2, I am scared he might reveal my condition to someone at work.

Anyway, that’s another story.

I’m feeling discouraged girls, I’d be happy to hear similar or inspiring things. Thank you

Heather34
    Participant

Hi evett. I’m so, so sorry that this happened to you! Please know that I am here for you 100%! While I haven’t fainted, when I had vaginismus and tried to undergo the pelvic exam with a doctor who did not understand the condition, I felt like I was going to and felt incredibly hot and dizzy and it was a terrible feeling. I’m sorry that you went through this. I think it is absolutely awesome that you were able to insert a finger as well as the tampon with applicator and this is a huge accomplishment. Before I had the Botox treatment program with Dr. P, I tried so many times to insert even a slim tampon and could not do this.

In a prior Forum post in response to a patient who was struggling post-procedure, Janet Pacik wrote:

“The important thing to remember is to take it one day at a time. You will have good days and you have days that aren’t so good. Celebrate in the good moments and don’t beat yourself up on the bad days. Every day IS a new day!”

Dr. Pacik and Melissa, do you have any further thoughts here?

Sending you my support and hugs today and always evett!!!

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

It is important to do a proper assessment. The diagnosis of vaginismus is made by using a psycho-sexual questionnaire to better evaluate the source of sexual pain. This can be requested and Maze will do a complimentary assessment. This is an important first step and will help you avoid unnecessary false steps.

mazemelissa

Hi Evette,

It sounds like a Vasovagal syncope, which is one of the most common causes of fainting. Vasovagal syncope occurs when your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress, or dilating for the first time.

The vasovagal syncope trigger causes a sudden drop in your heart rate and blood pressure. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, which results in a brief loss of consciousness.

I would recommend not dilating unless lying down. I also think that you should give our center a call, Maze Women’s Health, to further discuss vaginismus, diagnosis and treatment options.

Melissa 914-328-3700

lulu
    Participant

Hi evett!

I am glad to hear you have had some progress! I am not glad to hear you fainted, though 🙁 However, I wanted to tell you that I feel this is common. When one first starts working on dilating it can be, and often is, a time of extreme stress and anxiety! Vaginismus sufferers may not end up fainting but I can personally tell you I have came close and feel that many others have probably as well. Before I ever got the procedure ( I am almost 6 months post now) I would definitely get the symptoms of fainting if I tried a tampon or inserting my own finger. I also got these symptoms a few times after the procedure when dilating. The worst was the second night after the procedure. I have never came that close to fainting before but I sure did when I went to dilate. I had to lean on my husband and wait until I stopped feeling dizzy. It was unsettling. I also still get a little anxiety with tampons. I can get them in but I just personally have not fallen in love with them and really feel that I never will.
    I would definitely take the advice of laying down while dilating if you haven’t. I know that sometimes laying down to dilate is not comfortable though. Leg lock can be an issue when dilating while laying down especially since you are just starting. I would at least try it if you have not already but do not feel like a failure if you are not comfortable with it and it doesn’t work out.
    I hope I helped some!

Katy
    Participant

Hello! I’m here to tell you that it won’t always be this hard! I have Vasovagal Syncope and have had it since I was about 6 years old. Before I had my procedure, I used to try dilating on my own and have come close to passing out many times. Every time I had to have a doctor examine me, I would have to have them stop because I would come dangerously close to passing out. On the night right after I had my procedure, I was in a lot of pain with the #4 dilator inside me and did actually pass out in the hotel room. Luckily I had my mom there to help me, and I moved down to a more comfortable size. However, it does get better, I promise! I’m not sure if you have gone through with the procedure yet, or if you even plan to, but since I had it done I have only felt dizzy a few rare times while inserting a dilator. Any pain, discomfort, and fear that you have while trying to insert something gets less and less each time! There is hope! I can tell you I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was terrified to ever try dilating or insertion of any kind ever again because I felt that I would just pass out if I even tried. Try laying down with your feet propped up a little when you try insertion, and drink a lot of water. Also, a little bit of distraction helps as well. (Watching Tv, a movie, music, etc..) Hope that helps! Best wishes!

evett87
    Participant

Thank you everybody for your support !
    I had never heard of Vasovagal Syncope before.
    I will take your advice and try it while lying down next time.

I live in Mexico currently, I don’t have much money so the procedure is not in my plan and as Dr Patrick mentionned I would probably need an assessment before.

Heather, the only time a doctor tried to examine me intimately she s¿was only able to touch the entrance of my vagina with the scalpel and I unvolontarily FOUGHT her, she couldn’t do anything. I have never tried after that.

I am glad to hear that the procedures have changed your lives, unfortunately it doesn’t help me much at the moment because I know I can’t have this procedure, not now anyway. I am also not a US citizen so… anyway I feel that I would need a different solution.

But thank you very much for your concern, for your messages, it does help 🙂

Heather34
    Participant

Hi evett. I just wanted to let you know that I’ve been thinking of you? Have you tried dilating while lying down? Please, please know that I’m here for you always. One very cool part of the Forum is that we can all talk and be there for each other from all over the world. I am currently in Boston and can talk to you all the way in Mexico. One of my very best Forum friends, Diana, is also from Mexico as well. Sending you my positive thoughts today. Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Only try a tampon or menstrual cup if you flow heavy. Your menstrual flow will lubricate it on its way in.
    Stand with your feet about a foot apart and squat slightly to allow the muscles around your vagina to relax. This should help overcome the dizziness. If you try again and experience the same symptoms remove the tampon immediately and contact doctor for advise. Rather than tampon you can go for Menstrual cup like coupe menstruelle économique is the latest innovation in feminine hygiene protection. Made from 100% medical grade silicone, it is the most convenient, comfortable and reliable alternative to tampons and pads. It is worn internally, and environmentally friendly because it’s reusable.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.