Dilating after you period

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Dilating after you period

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    K Howard
    Participant

Earlier this week when my period started going away, I wanted to go ahead and start back with my dilating. The first day, I only used the glass #4 for about 2 1/2 hours. The following day, I thought (for some reason) that I would be able to just pick up where I’d left off before my period started – when I skipped the #4 dilator all together and just went straight to the #5 and then #6. Well, although I did manage to get the #5 in, it did take longer and there was some burning while inserting it and a little after it was in. Although well lubed, as Dr. Pacik explained to me via email “After you finish your menses you should dilate with smaller dilators first and then advance. Starting with a large dilator right off will cause burning because the muscle has not been properly stretched ahead of time.” There was my mistake! Although I wanted to jump back into the swing of things, I was pushing my body a bit too much – needless to say, I didn’t go up to #6 that day. The following afternoon, I started out with 30 minutes with the #4 and 2 hours with the #5. I did advance to #6 (kept it in for an hour) but it was still a little uncomfortable at times. Has any one else experienced this when trying to get back on schedule after your period has stopped or is going away?

coffee
    Participant

This is my concern as well, so you have answered my question, i will start with the smallest then work up with the bigger dilators. feels like i am starting back over again, my cycle is about to stop, time to get back on track.

K Howard
    Participant

Yes, I agree Coffee, it truly feels like I’m having to start all the way over too. I felt as though I’d made so much progress and then my cycle started and afterwards I felt like I was back at square one. The great thing though is that we know that we have done it before and that we CAN do it again!

Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. I had to take a lengthy break from dilating during the end of Feb-March of this past year. I remember being so nervous that I wouldn’t be able to start back up again and it just wouldn’t work. I e-mailed Dr. Pacik and he suggested that, should I experience any resistance, I start again with the smaller dilators and work my way back up. I did just this … began with the pure romance purple and worked my way back up to blue. The thing that helped me, like you mentioned Karla, is to really know that I had done this before and I WOULD be successful doing it again and it worked just fine. I KNOW you can do it and I am here for you both!!!

K Howard
    Participant

Thanks so much Heather!

coffee
    Participant

Well i started back after my cycle, nervous wreck, but i did succeed, it was more burning this time, but i survived.

K Howard
    Participant

Great job Coffee for not giving up and sticking with it. Was the burning because you were using a larger size or anything?

coffee
    Participant

yes it was!!! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.