Atypical Vaginismus

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Atypical Vaginismus

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jaycee27
    Participant

Hi Everyone. I started having chronic pelvic pain in October of 2023 and have seen many doctors, therapists and alternative medicine practitioners. After a few weeks of UTI-like symptoms, I developed a cyst that was extremely painful for about a week. After the cyst ruptured, it slowly healed and I was mostly pain free for most of January and February. My symptoms recurred in March and I started going to pelvic floor physio, which seemed like it was helping, but after a couple of weeks, the exercises they gave me stopped working.

After 6 months I finally was able to get in to see a gynecologist and she diagnosed me with vaginismus. My symptoms are kind of unusual though, in that I have constant pain that has completely destroyed my quality of life but having sex is not a problem for me. In fact, it’s one of the few things that actually distracts me from the pain for a little while. The emotional toll has been enormous though. I’m exhausted from living in unrelenting pain and discouraged that nothing seems to give me any relief. It’s been really hard on my relationship – my partner is incredibly loving and supportive but we’ve only been together for a few months and it’s a lot of pressure on a new relationship for me to be tired and in emotional and physical pain all the time.

I’m curious if anyone else on here has experienced this unusual version of vaginismus or if anyone has any advice or encouragement to offer. Thanks for reading <3

Hi jaycee27,
    Those are unusual symptoms for vaginismus. Vaginismus is the involuntary muscle spasm at the entrance of the vagina due to fear of penetration. It typically does not cause pain outside of attempted penetration. But it could be caused by other underlying conditions, such as vestibulodynia, interstitial cystitis or a variety of other conditions. I would definitely recommend getting another opinion if you are continuing to be in so much pain.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.