Dilating-burning and uncomfortable

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Post-Procedure Dilating-burning and uncomfortable

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scohn1
    Participant

Hi all,

I am just over two weeks post procedure and it has been a bumpy road for me. With the help of these great doctors I have been on an uphill road for the past few days. I’ve noticed since I’ve run out of the lubricant that was provided to me post procedure, that dilating has been slightly more uncomfortable with me. I was told to mix the prescribed lidocaine and a lubricant in order to lubricate during my dilation process. The lubricant I bought was an unscented, water based lubricant. I’ve noticed an insane burning sensation while dilating, and the tip of the dilator all the way inside of me. It’s not so much a rug burning feeling (so I know there is enough lubricant), but really a burning sensation that is truly uncomfortable. After sharing my (so far) experiences with some close friends, one brought up that she was also using a water based lubricant (through intercourse, not dilation) and has also experienced a burning sensation.

Is it the water based that’s the issue? Or the brand? Does anyone have a good brand or type they’d recommend? Thank you!

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you might be sensitive to the lubricant you are using. I would try a different brand and see if that’s better. If not, I would suggest using k-y jelly or surgilube mixed with the lidocaine to use as the lubricant for dilation. In the future, you could try coconut oil as a lubricant for intercourse (although not appropriate for use with condoms, as it can degrade the latex)

I second the coconut oil recommendation…many of our patients have really liked it!!

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

I had the botox treatment back in September and I would personally recommend a silicone-based lubricant like Sliquid because it just doesn’t dry out as fast as water-based lubricants. Since dilating isn’t an arousing activity and you won’t be adding any lubrication to the experience yourself, the most important thing is to use a LOT of lube, whichever kind you’re using!

Scohn1
    Participant

Thanks so much for all your advice. I found the coconut oil to be a little bit too thin, for lack of a better term, and messy. Silicone based has seemed to really work well! Thank you again!

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Let us know if you find any great brands you love!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.