These books can help both you and your kids. Some of them have advice for you, some of them are intended for your kids and some of them are for you to read with your kids. In any event, trust us that your kids will be better off if you raise the issue either with them, or for them, and open the conversation.
By Richardson MD and Schuster MD.
This is a great resource for all parents. It’s funny, warm, realistic, not preachy, and provides a range of options for parents of various comfort levels. If you haven’t gotten it yet, it’s A MUST READ for all parents.
PRESCHOOL BOYS AND GIRLS
If you want to get the conversation going with your kids, or want to provide them with appropriate information, the following list may be helpful:
- It’s NOT the stork – by Robie H. Harris, Michael Emberley Ages 4 -7
- Where Do Babies Come From? – by Angela Royston Ages 3-5
- A Very Touching Book – by Jan Hindman Ages 4-8 (focusing on appropriate and inappropriate touching and keeping kids safe.)
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AGE GIRLS AND BOYS
- It’s So Amazing: A Book About Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families – by Robie H. Harris, Michael Emberley (Illustrator) (Paperback – May 2002). Ages 5-9.
MIDDLE SCHOOL/HIGH SCHOOL AGE GIRLS
- What’s Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: The New Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters, Third Edition – by Lynda Madaras, et al (Hardcover, March 2001) Ages 9-15.
- Growing Up: It’s a Girl Thing – by Mavis Jukes (Author) (Paperback) Ages 9-14.
- The Period Book: Everything You Don’t Want to Ask (But Need to Know) – by Karen Gravelle, et al (Paperback, April 1996) Ages 9-15
- Deal with It! A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain, and Life as a GURL – by Esther Drill (Author), et al (Paperback) Age 12+.
MIDDLE SCHOOL/HIGH SCHOOL AGE BOYS
- What’s Happening to My Body? Book for Boys : A Growing Up Guide for Parents and Sons – by Lynda Madaras, et al (Paperback) Ages 9-15.
- What’s Going on Down There: Answers to Questions Boys Find Hard to Ask – by Karen Gravelle, et al (Paperback – October 1998) Ages 10-15.
HIGH SCHOOL AGE GIRLS AND BOYS
- Changing Bodies, Changing Lives: Expanded Third Edition: A Book for Teens on Sex and Relationships – by Ruth Bell (Author) (Paperback) Ages 13+.
- Our Bodies Ourselves For The New Century – by Boston Women’s Health Book Collective (Author) (Paperback)
Click here to see more books for parents and children on sexual health education.