What makes the Botox treatment for vaginismus work when other treatments have failed?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus What makes the Botox treatment for vaginismus work when other treatments have failed?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. I have read so many of your stories and have my own story of seeking and receiving several failed treatments for vaginismus. How many of you have heard a doctor or clinician suggest to “just relax”, “don’t think about it”, or “just do it”? The pain associated with vaginismus is not “in the women’s head” and does not readily respond to these suggestions. Vaginismus is a ‘real’ physical pain and the Botox treatment for vaginismus works to address both this physical pain and to also diffuse the fear of penetration. First, the Botox injections work to weaken the tight vaginal muscles that often make penetration impossible. Second, waking up with the dilator already in place works very well to diffuse the fear associated with penetration. For some patients, such as myself, this was the first time that something was inside of me “pain-free” and, in realizing this, it entirely eliminated any anxiety associated with penetration. The uniqueness of this combined approach to vaginismus is what truly makes it work so, so well. I encourage your comments and feedback here ladies and look forward to reading your posts.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.