True Life on MTV

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Advocacy True Life on MTV

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. A couple of years ago, sexual pain disorders were covered on an episode of the MTV show True Life.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life-i-cant-have-sex/1653589/playlist.jhtml

Specifically, three young women in their 20s spoke candidly about their struggles with very different sexual pain disorders – vulvodynia, pelvic floor muscle dysfunction, and vaginismus. Their honesty and openness is admirable.

In an interview following the episode, Tess, the woman diagnosed with vaginismus, was asked what advice she had for other women experiencing similar issues, and she replied:

“Don’t be afraid to speak up and get help. You really aren’t the only one. Vaginismus is real and very damaging mentally, physically and emotionally–you don’t want to deal with that your whole life. Communicate openly with your partner as well so they can understand and help you through it. If you’re not in a healthy relationship, then get out of it because with this kind of issue you need all the support and understanding you can get. Don’t be ashamed and don’t be afraid. It will get better. If I can get over it, then anyone can.” True Life Check-Ins http://remotecontrol.mtv.com/2010/12/06/true-life-check-ins-tamra-started-blogging-about-her-condition/

I would encourage your comments and feedback.

mmbayles91
    Participant

I remember watching the premiere of this my freshman year in college (2 years ago) and I was watching intently when my other roommates were making horrible comments about how weird that was, how they weren’t normal, and how that would just suck. I wanted to smack them in the face and scream and just tell them, hey that is what I have, it isn’t normal BUT I AM. Their reaction is one of the main reasons I never told anyone for a while. I’m so happy that episode aired, as it made me feel like I wasn’t alone. Only thing I disliked about it, was making it look so easy to cure, and it is far from easy to get over Vaginismus.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.