Transitioning from using dilators prior to intercourse to spontaneous sex

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Transitioning from using dilators prior to intercourse to spontaneous sex

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. One hurdle that I found post-procedure was transitioning from using dilators prior to intercourse to spontaneous sex. I had a routine of dilating in advance of intercourse for 1-2 hours and we both desired that it become more spontaneous. I cut back to dilating to 30 minutes prior for a while. I think I had a mental block that I just had to dilate for some amount of time in order for it to work and be pain-free. I finally cut back to only 15 minutes for a week and then we tried spontaneous sex for the first-time (no dilation at all prior). I was nervous again at first with this but what really helped me here was to trust the process (i.e. I had dilated regularly for the required amount of time and really put in the work to stretch out my muscles) and to trust my husband implicitly (i.e. he knew exactly how to gently enter and I just knew going into it that it would not cause any pain whatsoever). For the other veteran patients reading this, what were your experiences with spontaneous sex post-procedure? Do you have any further tips for patients who are thinking of trying sex without dilating in advance?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.