Recently diagnosed with vaginismus…

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Recently diagnosed with vaginismus…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nina
    Participant

Clinicians tend to make vaginismus too complicated mostly because they don’t understand this condition. It is still not taught in medical school or advanced training and for this reason many are ignorant through no fault of their own.
    The psychologic component of vaginismus is mostly due to the anxiety related to knowing that you will have pain when attempting penetration. This would be true of anyone who anticipates pain for just about anything. This does not need psychotherapy. It is the physical spasm at the entrance to the vagina that needs treatment. Though it may take some time to overcome the emotional issues, and some need help after treatment, it is still the spasm that needs treatment.
    Vaginismus treatment is noted in a blog “The 1,2,3 punch” http://www.vaginismusmd.com/?s=The+1%2C2%2C3+punch as well as my book “When Sex Seems Impossible…” (Ch.’s 7,8) available on my website or through Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/When-Sex-Seems-Impossible-Vaginismus-ebook/dp/B004GNFTNU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391519149&sr=1-1&keywords=when+sex+seems+impossible
    I hope this helps. Please complete our questionnaire and I will be happy to advise you.

KarenK
    Participant

Hi nina – you have come to the right place. We are all here to support and encourage you. I am so thankful that you found this forum, as the ladies on here know exactly what you are going through. So many of us have gone to doctors that have no idea what to do or what to tell us. Have you found a doctor in your area that really understands vaginismus? I know you mentioned you saw a doctor that diagnosed you with the condition, but I’m concerned about the little information that was provided to you. Finding a doctor who was really knowledgeable about the condition really helped me to actually discuss the condition. You can do all the online research you want, but actually speaking to another human being who was knowledgeable really helped me. I was referred to a physical therapist who continued to help me emotionally. Then I found this website and Dr. Pacik – Dr. Pacik is by far the most knowledgeable clinician on vaginismus that I have ever come across. Welcome to the forum and let us know how else we can help!

nina
    Participant

The doctor that diagnosed this, was on Tuesday, so less than a week ago, although I recognised it as this before this “official” diagnosis. She was a gynaecologist, so I assumed she would have known how to address this. But she gave no information on how to address this issue emotionally. Having read that this condition can be psychological, how can a doctor diagnose this without considering the psychological issues?!

I have felt kind of angry about this, I suppose this is one reason why I am writing in this forum, to vent, and release my anger, to people who might understand what is happening, and help explain it to me!

I have spoken to my mum about it, and she suggested going to a different doctor and asking them about it. Also, she has given me details of a local psychosexual therapist, (which also provides lots of other support for mental health etc) and having read lots of things online, have thought about possibly giving that a try.

I have been struggling within myself for months, and am questioning to myself if I am struggling because of this, or this is just an outcome of me struggling. It’s like a vicious circle, the more stressed I get, the more anxious I become, which makes me more stressed.

Thank you for replying, I was nervous that it might get lost or skimmed over.

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

Clinicians tend to make vaginismus too complicated mostly because they don’t understand this condition. It is still not taught in medical school or advanced training and for this reason many are ignorant through no fault of their own.
    The psychologic component of vaginismus is mostly due to the anxiety related to knowing that you will have pain when attempting penetration. This would be true of anyone who anticipates pain for just about anything. This does not need psychotherapy. It is the physical spasm at the entrance to the vagina that needs treatment. Though it may take some time to overcome the emotional issues, and some need help after treatment, it is still the spasm that needs treatment.
    Vaginismus treatment is noted in a blog “The 1,2,3 punch” http://www.vaginismusmd.com/?s=The+1%2C2%2C3+punch as well as my book “When Sex Seems Impossible…” (Ch.’s 7,8) available on my website or through Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/When-Sex-Seems-Impossible-Vaginismus-ebook/dp/B004GNFTNU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391519149&sr=1-1&keywords=when+sex+seems+impossible
    I hope this helps. Please complete our questionnaire and I will be happy to advise you.

Nakitalab
    Participant

Hi Nina, I’m so sorry that you have Vaginismus and that you were treated so callously by your GYN. I am 53 years old and struggled with Vaginismus most all of my life and had seen doctor after doctor and treated in so many unsuccessful ways and in many cases completely humiliated by physicians that had no clue what was wrong with me and told me it was all in my head. It is not only physically painful but even more so mentally. I had my procedure in October of 2012 and am happy to say that thanks to Dr. Pacik and his team I am free from Vaginismus. I am so glad that you found this Forum. Please know you are not alone and we are all here for you. I highly encourage you to call Dr. Pacik. He is the most professional, understanding doctor I have ever met and he will make you feel at ease and comfortable sharing about yourself. I am here for you, Nina as well as so many other wonderful women on this Forum.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Nina. I am so very sorry to hear of your struggles with vaginismus. When you write about the circle (i.e. more stress = more anxious = more stress), I understand this so, so well and this is so similar to how I felt while having vaginismus. I had this all through my 20s and into my early 30s and was cured in 2011 following Dr. P’s procedure. Prior to this, I tried dilating on my own as well as pelvic floor PT. Neither of these worked for me as I felt like I was hitting a wall of resistance with any insertion attempts. My hubby felt this too when he tried to insert either his fingers or penis. It was so impossible and caused excruciating pain. Post-procedure, this resistance feeling dissipated and I just had to get used to the feeling of something inside of me and the more I dilated and stretched, the more physically ok it felt to the point of becoming comfortable with the dilators and pleasurable with my hubby. If you haven’t inquired yet, I would definitely recommend talking to either Dr. Pacik or Janet and working with them in any capacity you can. They helped us and we are able to now have pain-free intercourse and are trying to conceive. Please know that we are all here on the Forum to support you. Sending huge hugs!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.