Further Advocacy Efforts (New Members: Please Read)

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Advocacy Further Advocacy Efforts (New Members: Please Read)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. I just posted about Dr. Pacik’s new blog concerning insurance coverage for the Botox treatment for vaginimsus. After doing this, I can’t help but think that so much more really needs to be done to get the word out about the condition and specifically this treatment. This truly is the cure for vaginismus and must be recognized as such and fully covered by all insurance companies. I know we all discussed disseminating pamphlets to physicians, health clinics, and universities. Also, Diana had the great idea of donating Dr. Pacik’s book to local libraries so more women could learn about the condition and this treatment program. Since our discussion, I’ve handed out the pamphlets to every single doctor that I’ve come into contact with to further educate them on the condition. I’ve also distributed them to the health clinic at Northeastern University and plan to do so much more. For those ladies who have been members of the forum from the very beginning and for those new members to the forum, what ideas do you have to further spread the word about both the condition of vaginismus and this treatment program? What else can we all do together to prevent further women from suffering in silence with vaginismus? I would seriously LOVE to hear your ideas.

rachel
    Participant

Hey Heather,
    I have had this crazy idea in my head for a while now, so thought I would share it. My friend is always trying to get me to complete a run/marothon or a 5-10k run. When I look at all of the runs over Canada and America, they are often used to raise awareness and money. For example, thousands of women run every year to raise money for breast cancer. Why couldn’t we do that? I know many of us including mself would have to get fit and train for it, but what better reason to get fit would we have than to do a run and raise money for vaginismus research, or even to raise money for those women that cannot afford the botox treatment. If we did the run around New England, Manchester or even New York, imagine the fun we could have! My husband and I want to return to New England, as it is the place that is special to us now and that changed our lives…how many more couples feel this way and would be interested in doing a run. After the run we would have a big party to celebrate! Just a crazy idea I have floating around my head! If we got each person who ran to get sponsored for their run then imagine how many people we would have to talk to in order to raise money! It could be something that could grow into something bigger each year. It doesn’t have to be a run..it could be a hike or biking…it allows us all to have fun but at the same time allows the word to be spread about the condition of vaginismus.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Rachel. This is such a GREAT idea! I LOVE IT! I think we should definitely plan it around New England. It would get everybody finally talking about the condition and we could also be raising money in the process. Let’s brainstorm exactly what we need to do to make this happen (i.e. put the plan in writing, pick the date, etc.). How many of you would be interested in participating in an event like this (i.e. run, hike, biking)???

rachel
    Participant

Hey Heather,
    I will try and have a look at some dates and how or if this would be possible to plan. I will let you know when I have researched it a liitle more.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. As new members continue to join the forum, I would loved to hear your ideas, thoughts, suggestions on ways to advocate and get the condition of vaginismus more well known. Perhaps you have an idea that no one has ever heard of and would seriously help to spread the word. In the past, Diana, another forum member, had the excellent idea to distribute Dr. Pacik’s book to local public libraries to reach the masses. Rachel had a most excellent idea to organize a run/race in support of vag advocacy and education. What ideas do you have to spread the word about vaginismus and make it more well known to doctors and clinicians?

Diana
    Participant

Hi Rachel and Heather, I love the idea about organizing a hike! My husband and I would love to return to New England as well for the same reason, and of course what a lovely place it is there! Please keep us posted on dates and ideas. A Saturday would work better for us.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.