Dilations giving pain

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Please Read Before Posting Dilations giving pain

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lily678
    Participant

Hi all,

Kind of new to this forum and my vaginismus journey. I diagnosed this at the age o o f 27. Would appreciate the help and advice. I have been on an off in my dilations since 2 months due to travel and work schedules. But recently have been taking it seriously and been regularly dilating. I can say, I couldn’t believe I reached the size 4( 5.95/ 1.30 diameter) in my set which wasn’t even possible until a few months back and proud of myself to have reached out. However it has been very painful since 2-3 days. Everytime I take it out it gives this burning sensation and I get very scared to insert it again. Sex is still impossible but it frustrates me.

MostSensitiveWoman
    Participant

Ask an obgyn or pelvic floor therapist, but I think it’s possible you have vulvodynia (burning in the vulva/vaginal area). But check with one of those doctors to know what’s really going on, and mention that this started very recently.

mazemelissa

I agree seeking out a pelvic floor PT or sexual health practitioner can be very helpful to confirm the pelvic floor dysfunction and vaginismus diagnosis, but to also evaluate and treat any other underlying problem that could also be impacting your pain. Hormonal changes can sometimes cause burning pain, as well as nerve sensitivity.

It is also my experience when my patients start to reach the larger sized dilators they will often feel a more intense burning discomfort or pain when stretching tight tense vaginal muscles. And that burning pain will linger, and not really resolve until they can insert even larger dilators. So for you, the #4 dilator in your set might not be pain free, until you are working with and inserting the #5 dilator.

You can also try using some local lidocaine cream to help with the burning with dilation. Lidocaine can be easily purchased over the counter or online at a strength up to 5%. Adding a little local numbing sensation to the entrance prior to dilation will help the burning and your fear of penetration.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.