Daily Question (1/13/12) – Discomfort with Large Dilators

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Daily Question (1/13/12) – Discomfort with Large Dilators

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. Dr. P wrote a great blog this week on Discomfort with Large Dilators and Beyond. In it, he wrote “After treatment with Botox for vaginismus, the dilation program is key to stretching the tight vaginal muscles. Of necessity this needs to be done slowly and sometimes it can take several more weeks before becoming comfortable with the larger dilators.” What have been your experiences with the large dilators ladies? Are there any suggestions that you have for newly treated patients to make their experience more comfortable with the large dilators or tricks of the trade? I found in the beginning that it was most comfortable to lie down while dilating and I would distract myself by watching a television program. I also found that it was much easier to insert the large dilators in the morning after I had slept with the purple dilator. I look forward to hearing your thoughts ladies???

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

Almost all of my patients regress somewhat after achieving dilation with the #6/6 blue dilator post procedure in the recovery area. Some are never able to return to this size, while others are successful. It is important for everyone to know that about 40% of my patients are able to achieve intercourse dilating ONLY to the pink #5 of 6. While dilating to the blue will help stretch the muscles sufficiently to make intercourse more comfortable, it is not essential. The down side of the large blue dilator is that some of the men have complained that the vagina has stretched too much and they don’t have enough friction. Poor guys, they should try dilating for a while!

Heather34
    Participant

This is so true Dr. P. I remember when I dilated with blue for a while prior to intercourse, it was much more comfortable but the more we did it, we both noticed that it was almost too open. We actually noticed this on our anniversary weekend and I then decided to dilate for a less amount of time prior to intercourse and eventually went to no dilation prior. It worked well to improve the tightness/friction and our overall experience.

Lifi
    Participant

This is very encouraging to hear. My DH is slightly larger than the blue.. and I can’t seem to get the blue in.. but he is able to penetrate. We still have not tried intercourse, though. When he penetrates, there is still a struggle of trying to aim it right and work on him easing in.

In this case, do you think getting to blue is needed? or just more time with the pink?

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

A number of patients are comfortable dilating only to the pink prior to intercourse. The blue although of value is not essential. Lots of lube is a must.

Lou
    Participant

Not sure if I helps, but I only really dilated with the pink prior to intercourse. For a few days post procedure, I dilated with the big blue but I found it a bit uncomfortable. I actually found it better – physically & emotionally – to dilate with the pink and get really comfortable with this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.