CRAMPING AFTER DILATING?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating CRAMPING AFTER DILATING?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MotivatedMumma
    Participant

Hi me again!

Yesterday I managed dilator 5 out of 5, I got it in virtually all the way with some discomfort.
    I accidentally tensed up while it was deep inside and experienced a short sharp gasping pain. It went away pretty quickly.

Today I have period like cramps.

Is it possible this could be related? Did I push it too far yesterday?

Thanks!

Hi Motivated Mumma! Great question – yes you may have been too deep inside the vaginal canal with the dilator. When it bumps the cervix, the cervix responds by cramping up and that can feel just like your period. Sometimes it can persist, but should be better within 24 hours. It’s not dangerous – just annoying!

Sometimes when we dilate and are nervous, we push the dilator in too far because we are so excited to have gotten it past the muscles. If that happens again, just pull back an inch or two and you should be all good. I also recommend using a mirror when you dilate. At least 1/3rd of the dilator should still be seen outside the body when you are past the muscles. Does that make sense?

Jackie Giannelli FNP-BC

MotivatedMumma
    Participant

Perfect sense thankyou!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.