Burning with dilating directly after period.

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Burning with dilating directly after period.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lulu
    Participant

I had my period last week so I did not dilate. I was able to use a tampon, though. I feel that it was a big mistake for me, personally, not to dilate. Yesterday I went to dilate with the glass #4. It went in fairly easy, but the burning was intense. It subsided some after keeping it in for an hour. Afterward I put #5 in and the burning was much worse. I only could keep it in for 20 minutes. This morning I found I had to go back to the #3 silicone . I had not even removed the plastic wrap from it until now. It still burns a little too.

I am feeling very defeated and frustrated. The tears came last night. I was getting to where I couldn’t even feel when #4 was in. I was also becoming comfortable with inserting #6. It is really disappointing and anxiety inducing to backslide so far. I know it happens but I am anxious it will take a long time to get back to where I was. I hate having to start all over again. I am also now worried about intercourse this week because of the burning. If # 3 burns I can’t imagine what my husband’s penis will feel like. I was becoming much more comfortable with our progress.

Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences? I am trying to stay positive. I know I need to slowly stretch again but I am not very patient about that. I am trying not to be anxious about it either because we all know anxiety makes it much worse than it probably is.

Thanks everyone.

lulu
    Participant

It has helped to start small and work my way back up. I think and hope I will be fine within a week or so. I suppose I am worrying for no reason.
    UGH! I really hate this emotional roller coaster!

Kimberly
    Participant

No worries lulu!

We’re all going through the exact same thing. I know how you feel, I’ve been on a roller coaster of emotions as well. I go from “Wow I am so excited, I’m going to be having pain free sex in no time!” to “Omg this is never going to work. I’m doomed.” in about two seconds haha.

I just had my procedure done about a week ago and I’m already stressing myself out over every little thing. Like everyone else, I woke up with the #6 in me pain free. Then the #4 in all night, and #5 the next day. Yet as of the last few days I have only been using the #3. Its not painful, but it is still a bit uncomfortable, so I am just waiting another few days until that is 100% comfortable and then I’ll be moving on to the #4. And then the #5, and so on. But every once in a while I still think things like “Why cant you do more?? You should be doing the #5 by now!” But I just try to remind myself that our bodies aren’t robots, and we have to listen to what our bodies are telling us in order to achieve success. Patience patience patience!! 😀

Pretty soon we will be using the #6 with ease! 😀 Hope everything is going well for you!

lulu
    Participant

Thanks Kimberly,

I am doing better. I just had a moment of panic. I am still using #3 this week but #4 felt almost back to normal last night. I think I will be back to where I was soon.

The comfort level with the dilators will get better. I am a little over 7 weeks post. It took about 4 or 5 weeks but now I barely feel them with the exception of #6 at this point.

My husband and I are slowly getting to pain free sex. I find I do much better with spontaneous sex. Planning it out puts too much pressure on me. My libido doesn’t help. If I had half my husband’s libido I think we’d be just fine! My pain is usually never more than a 4, though, and it is often more discomfort than pain. I am truly happy for them but it is hard at times not to envy the women who had pain free sex very quickly after the procedure.

Congrats on getting the procedure!

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

Almost no one has pain free intercourse soon after treatment! I have stressed many times that setbacks are normal, every patient thinks she will be the one failure. From following many women it is clear that almost everyone has a setback struggling with dilators that were comfortable just days ago. Any time we over exercise a group of muscles this will result in soreness. In addition there are before and after effects of menses during which time the tissues become more sensitive.
    Just stay with the course and don’t give up. Use the smaller dilators for a while until you are comfortable advancing to the larger dilators again. That you were able to use the large dilators on the day after treatment is not related to how fast you will progress once you return home. Dilation is a process which must be done slowly enough to avoid discomfort. Both of you will do well if you stay with the program.
    I would be interested to hear what some of our veterans have to say.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.