Sleeping with dilators

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Sleeping with dilators

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

It has been a little over two years since I had the procedure. I am not married but just recently moved in with my boyfriend of three years. After the procedure, my boyfriend and I both traveled a lot for work so it was hard to see one another and try intercourse after I dilated. There were a few weekends from time to time that we were together after the procedure and intercourse would work it just wasn’t a daily or weekly occurrence for us! Even though I brought the dilators on my business trips I always found it hard to sleep with the dilators ( especially after the botox wore off) and in the morning and evening I did not have enough time to dilate for an extended period. Now after two years the Botox has obviously worn off. After about a year, I stopped dilating. Now that we have moved into together we get to spend a lot more time with one another. I do not travel for work anymore and my boyfriend has not traveled in a few months. Recently we had intercourse but it was not pain free for me. (Before I continue I just want to say, even though it was not pain free I was still able to have intercourse which is amazing. I can also have a gyno exam with no problem and wear tampons so I am very happy with my progress after the Botox treatment.) I just felt that after all this time I should continue to have pain free intercourse and I shouldn’t have to stop after 2 or 3 minutes because it hurts a little. I called Dr. Pacik after about 8 weeks of the pain occurring. He recommended I go back to dilating and sleeping with the dilators. I have been able to dilate in the morning and evenings for 15 minutes but I am having trouble sleeping with the purple dilator at night. Any advice or tips or tricks you ladies have I would definitely appreciate it. I also recommend that if you and your partner do not get to see one another often that you continue to dilate even if it has been after a year of the Botox treatment – I think if I did that I would not be in this position now.

So again, any advice is greatly appreciated! Also, did/does anyone have trouble sleeping with the dilators after the Botox wore off?

mazemelissa

This is an old post, but brings up some great points.

What happens after the procedure, if you are not with your partner anymore?

I usually recommend having some type of vaginal penetration three times a week as a maintenance, especially after the botox as worn off. If you are not with a partner, and not having regular intercourse, I feel that keeping a dilation routine is really important. For most patients it does not need to be a long session of dilation, usually 5-10 minutes should be enough. Some women find dilating in the shower a very convenient way to keep dilating, but it not take up too much time, and it is easy to fit into their schedule. You can also purchase a vibrator that you can use for dilation.

Sleeping with dilators can be uncomfortable, especially if you are trying to sleep with a dilator that is large. I recommend sleeping with the pure romance size 4/6 (currently a blue color). I find that larger dilators are too long to sleep with and are very uncomfortable. Sometimes sleeping with dilators is not necessary, if you find that you can still dilate during the day with a larger size easily.

Melissa

Vic123
    Participant

Hi, iy’s the first time i read about sleeping with a dilator. RThis is a reocmendation only for the post-botox treatment? Or could i try this myself as part of my conventional dilating treatment? It’s not dangerous at all?

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi Vic123! I’m not one of the medical staff of the Maze clinic, but speaking from personal experience (I have had the botox procedure myself), there’s nothing dangerous about sleeping with a dilator in – it’s just really uncomfortable depending upon the position you sleep in! Some people like it just because of how much stretching you can get done without even having to consciously do anything.

I think this would work best if you sleep on your back normally – I sleep on my stomach, which doesn’t really work if you have a dilator in. You could also try on your side with a pillow between your lets. I would say you could try it even if you’re not doing botox, but definitely not a necessary part of treatment.

Vic123
    Participant

Thank you very much for your response!! I hope i’ll get over this just like you did

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

I believe in you! And we’re here if you have any questions along the way 🙂

mazemelissa

Sleeping with a dilator is completely safe.

Some women also find the glass dilators are helpful to sleep with, because they are shorter in length, and are come in bigger sizes than the pure romance blue size, so you can sleep with a larger dilator.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Vic123. I had the Botox treatment program and slept with the Purple dilator in the Pure Romance set every other night. I did this for at least the first few months post-procedure and then did not dilate as much overnight as we were having pain-free intercourse. I did, however, continue to dilate during the day and felt like this really helped me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.