Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Intro Reply To: Intro

mmmazemelissa

Hi Juliamc,

I just want you to first know that you are not alone, and that you can get through this.

I think that they hymenectomy was still a good idea, as many women with vaginismus do have thicker hymens or partial blocking of the vaginal opening that makes penetration even more difficult and more painful.

However, removing that barrier doesn’t take away the involuntary spasms of the muscles in your vagina that your body has become accustomed to doing when ever you have penetration.

I believe you still have a physical problem in your vagina that needs addressing. The sex therapy will definitely help to address the fear and anxiety that has developed over the years of failed penetration. But the muscles will also need to be treated.

I know dilation is really scary, but you have already been able to have penetration with a tampon, so using a small dilator is really very similar.

We need to connect your mind and your body, and repeated progressive dilation is the best way to do that.

I would also recommend seeking a pelvic floor PT to help with the process.

Or if you are close to NY, please come to Maze and we can help. You may also be a candidate for the botox procedure as well.

Please do not lose hope, you can do this.

Melissa