Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Sexual Pain That May Not Be Vaginismus Vaginal pain entirely limited to front vaginal wall? Reply To: Vaginal pain entirely limited to front vaginal wall?

Mikaela97
Participant

Hi there,

I’m new to the forum and I’ve been spending a lot of time reading other post. This seems to be the only one I can find that directly speaks to uterine pain and anterior vaginal wall pain.

I was diagnosed with a type of persistent cystitis when I was 17. 6 years later, I’m still experiencing pain, but its different from that initial bladder pain (though still seems kind of connected), and my urologists have long ruled out infection. A few weeks ago, I went to see my gynaecologist and they diagnosed me with vaginismus, the logic being, I think, that I have secondary vaginismus that developed because of me spending years bracing myself in anticipation of the cystitis pain.

My urologists had previously suspected that I might have interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome, but they’ve since gone back on that diagnosis because it doesn’t seem to fit. I guess I don’t have as much urgency and severe pain as others.

I’ve been using my dilators for over a week now and they’ve been going well, and I’m able to relax into the pain. I’ve also seen a pelvic floor therapist who instructed me to use a smaller size dilator to press against the sides and bottom walls of my vagina. As you can see, she only said bottom and sides, not top, which is where I feel the most significant stabbing pain.

Like SuperiorBlue, I’m wondering if this is common with people with vaginismus, or somehow a sign of interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome? Would relaxing the bottom and side muscles relax pressure and relieve pain in the anterior wall? Also, does anyone else with a history of UTIs or Bladder Infection find that the dilators are making their urgency increase?

A few other symptoms I’ve always wondered about: Do other people with vaginismus have worse pain during their periods? Also, do pain medications like ibuprofen makes things worse for you as well?

Thank you!