Vaginal Valium

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Aids Vaginal Valium

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi all. There have been some great posts lately concerning the use of Vaginal Valium as an aid in working with the dilators and overcoming vaginismus. The Maze team has noted the following:

Melissa has written: “We use Valium suppositories in our center quite often. Patients can insert them vaginally or rectally to help soften and relax the pelvic floor. Valium suppositories are only available by prescription, and they need to be made by a compounding pharmacy. I have seen good results using them in conjunction with PT and dilation. They have minimal to no side effects, and are very well tolerated. My patients are instructed to use one suppository every night for one month, and then three times a week after that for the next month if needed.”

Aimee has written: “I also find that adding vaginal valium along with dilation can make dilation a bit easier.”

I agree, vaginal valium is very useful in conjunction with dilation. And it is easy to use, with a low side effect profile!

Jaclynfich
    Participant

Hi. I’ve been interested in try this for a while but was worried I wouldn’t even be able to get it inside however now that I’m moving up in dilator sizes (yay!) this seems like it could work for me. Is this something I would talk to my regular doctor about or come back to maze to discuss very a prescription for it?

mazemelissa

We absolutely can prescribe this at Maze.

Your gynecologist should also be able to give you the prescription as well. But if she is not accustomed to compounding prescriptions, she might not be familiar with it.

Vaginal Valium can be a very good addition to dilation for some women, it can help soften the tissues and make dilation a little easier.

Rglady
    Participant

My doctor prescribed this to me on an as needed basis but I tried it for the first time in the past couple days, to help me work up to the 5th pure romance dilator. I typically dilate in the middle of the day and I’m definitely feeling sleepy- enough to deter me from using it if I have to work afterwards. How common is this reaction?

Would there be a benefit to taking it at bedtime regularly for awhile even if I’m not about to dilate?

mazemelissa

I always recommend taking it at night since it can make you feel sleepy.

I usually prescribe it for patients to use every night consistently for one to two months if they are dilating every day.

It seems the cumulative effect of the nightly Valium can be very beneficial.

Jaclynfich
    Participant

Thanks so much Melissa this is so good to know! Last question, would I have to come back to the office for this or would maze be able to do this through telehealth?

Rglady
    Participant

Thank you! That’s really helpful. I’ll try taking it every night for awhile instead of right before dilating.

mazemelissa

I do think that we could rx the vaginal valium with a telehealth visit since you were an existing patient already. If you were a new patient, I would want to see you in the office first to confirm that it is an appropriate treatment.

Ideally coming in person is better, as we can make sure there are not other contributing factors that could be leading to your dilation difficulties (infections, dermatological changes, new or worsening vulvodynia). But it is understandable during these crazy times to avoid unnecessary office visits if possible.

Give us a call to set up a telehealth visit. Jackie, Leslie and I are all seeing patients via telehealth.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.