Preparing for meeting a new Gynecologist

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Post-Procedure Preparing for meeting a new Gynecologist

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lulu
    Participant

I am almost three weeks post procedure. I am going in next week for more of a meet and greet with a new gynecologist. I thought about going to my old one, who I really liked and was understanding, but she is almost an hour away. I feel like I should create a relationship with someone closer. The new doctor’s nurse is aware that I have Vaginismus and from what little I have read about the doctor she seems like a kind person. She may or may not recommended we do an exam the first visit. I was able to tolerate exams in the past (sometimes better than other times) so I hope I will do extremely well with an exam now that I have had the procedure. I just am concerned that she will not be understanding or will be clueless about it all.

Do any of you have any advice on what literature to show her? I am going to bring the brochure Dr. Pacik gave us and I am hoping she will be interested enough in looking at the website and reading more about the procedure. I do not want to come off pushy or make it seem like I do not think she is not fit to do her job by suggesting a lot of reading material.

I guess I am just more anxious about it all then I care to admit. I know it will all work out but not worrying is easier said than done. It’s hard letting someone new into the situation when you do not know whether they will be helpful or not.

Thanks everyone.

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

Thank you for this valuable post lulu. When asking around for a new gynecologist there is nothing wrong in asking if the doctor treats (or even understands) vaginismus before making the appointment. When arriving at a new appointment bring along your dictated summaries of both the consultation and treatment. You can also bring along one of the scientific articles posted on the website:
    [url] http://www.vaginismusmd.com/publications/%5B/url%5D
    Some of my patients purchase extra books “When Sex Seems Impossible” to give to their doctor(s).
    An open conversation about this problem serves everyone well in making vaginismus more well known.

Helen Leff, LCSW

I just came across this post. Today we saw a patient who has successfully gone through the dilation process and is getting ready to make an appointment to see her gynecologist. She is anxious and wants to make sure that her gyn is sensitive to her needs and understands that she is scared and may need a more gentle touch. When we told the patient that with her consent we could send the doctor a note about her treatment for vaginismus her relief was palpable.

Heather34
    Participant

This is absolutely excellent Helen. There are so many providers out there who don’t understand vaginismus and have told us time and again to “just relax” or “it’s all in your head” or even got inpatient and angry and were dismissive when vaginismus was brought up. By discussing this in advance of an ob/gyn exam, it will help so, so, so much to relieve her anxiety and make the exam that much better. For my first exam following the Botox treatment program, I actually dilated in advance of the appointment with the largest dilator and the physician removed the dilator and inserted the speculum. This helped immensely both to reduce the anxiety of the first exam and to also be physically stretched in advance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.