Maze Success Story: Overcoming Vaginismus as a Single Patient

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus and the Single Patient Maze Success Story: Overcoming Vaginismus as a Single Patient

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi all. I recently read an excellent story of a single patient who received the Botox treatment program at Maze Women’s Sexual Health. I wanted to share it with other single ladies who may be considering treatment in the coming new year as well.

M, Age 27, writes:

“Prior to my sophomore year in college, I had had three GYN vaginal exams over the course of three years, each ending in extreme pain and anxiety. Although, the doctor visits were horrible, I always hoped that my first experience with intercourse would be amazing because I would be relaxed.

My first experience with painful intercourse was when I was a sophomore in college, and when things didn’t go as planned, I thought to myself that it just was not the right moment, or the wrong guy.

After many failed relationships before the age of 25, I knew that the tearing, extreme pain that I was experiencing was going to ruin any chance of developing an intimate relationship. Being a young professional, a single girl in NYC with friends who are all engaging in sexual intercourse, wearing tampons, and having regular vaginal exams, it was very difficult when you are holding in an embarrassing secret that you cannot share with anyone, especially potential boyfriends.

I don’t know how the condition of vaginismus developed, but after reading online about similar women’s experiences, I found the Medical Center for Female Sexuality was close to my apartment, and could possibly offer me options.

I decided to explore treatment after I had realized that I needed to help myself before I could become comfortable in any relationship. After contacting Maze Women’s Sexual Health, and meeting with Kathleen and Shannon, I reviewed the various alternatives for treating this condition and decided that botulinum toxin was the appropriate choice for me, in eliminating my physical symptoms.

botulinum toxin injections seemed a little intimidating at first because it is a new procedure, and it is technically a surgical option. But, I was so comfortable with everyone at the Women’s Center, and it was nice to open up to professionals about my problem. Unlike most of their patients, I did not have a spouse or significant other to share the experience with, but this was also a positive aspect because I had time to become comfortable on my own.

When I arrived at the surgical center for the procedure, every step was explained to me, especially the dilator therapy. I was never in any pain, and even after I woke up from the procedure, I never felt the large dilator in place.

When I saw the largest dilator for the first time, I was so happy that I was able to achieve this first step with no anxiety. I quickly learned how to take the dilators in and out before I went home, and continued to use them for the first night. Using the dilators is not easy. It can feel very messy and sore at times, but it was never anything close to any pain I had experienced before the procedure.

When the botulinum toxin had taken effect after a week, I was able to use the larger dilators so easily, even in the bathroom at work. Working with the largest dilators really helped me in progressing to intercourse. About a month after the botulinum toxin injections I attempted intercourse for the first time, with a new guy, and was so happy that I had very little pain, just some burning and stretching, especially upon initial penetration.

I’m sure I was not the best partner ever, but was so happy to fulfill a part of my life that had been missing. Also, being able to use tampons is the best, since I am always out with my friends or on vacation.

I continue to use the dilators at least twice a week, and also continue to work on feeling comfortable with my body. I recommend visiting the Center to anyone with vaginismus. The regime for this therapy is intimidating at first, but can be life changing.

The support and aftercare I received from the center was very beneficial, and although being diagnosed with vaginismus was a challenging experience for me, overcoming it has really helped me gain even more confidence”

Heather34
    Participant

“The support and aftercare I received from the center was very beneficial, and although being diagnosed with vaginismus was a challenging experience for me, overcoming it has really helped me gain even more confidence”

I love reading this story and especially love reading about the level of aftercare received at Maze. For me personally, it was so important to be able to contact Dr. P and ask questions about dilating, transitioning to intercourse, and everything that came up along the way. By having aftercare such as Dr. Pacik and Maze does, it is one very, very, very important aspects of what makes the entire treatment program work so well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.