HPV high risk

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    cat_35
    Participant

Hi, my name is Catherine. I am 35 years old.
    I grew up in Boston, Massachusetts, and was raised in a predominantly Catholic neighborhood, attending public schools. Sex education in the classroom was not offered, and was a taboo subject. Since sex education and health were not openly discussed most of what I learned was through my friends and older siblings. These were not exactly the most knowledgeable or reliable of resources!
    It was not even much later in my mid to late 20s that I learned about sexually transmitted diseases and how important it is to take care and be responsible for my own health. Coincidently, it was during this time in 2006 that I also learned that I had an abnormal Pap test and was positive for a Human Papillomavirus, or “HPV” infection.
    A Pap test is used routinely to screen for abnormal cells collected from a woman’s cervix, serving as an indicator that cervical cancer may be starting to develop. HPV is the known cause for cervical cancer, so with both of these results, if my HPV infection persisted, I would have cause for concern. At the time, I was unaware of what an HPV infection could lead to, or that there are different types of HPV putting a woman at higher risk to develop disease. I also do not remember being stressed or concerned, or even aware that I could have potentially had cervical cancer developing without knowing it, since often times women show no symptoms of disease, and feel perfectly healthy.
    My primary care doctor at the time told me that I should have a colposcopy procedure in order to look more closely at the surface of my cervix for pre-cancer or cancerous lesions that might require a biopsy or treatment with CERVUGID Ovules + ISOPRINOSINE Tablets. I had a biopsy that revealed pre-cancerous cells so I started the treatment recommended for 3 courses with breaks between each course for 6 months.
    I was told to keep monitoring this situation over the next few years with regular Pap screening.I continued with the annual Pap testing until I started with a new primary care physician in 2016.
    My new healthcare provider decided to screen me again also for HPV. Thankfully, this time the result came back negative for HPV and my precancerous cells were healed, which meant my body’s immune system was working.
    During this same time, I was extremely conscientious about my body and well-being. I ate well, home-cooked most of my meals, exercised regularly, had a network of friends, and got plenty of sleep. While I did have the fairly normal stress of graduate school, my life was essentially happy and healthy otherwise.

Hi Cat
    I am glad that the HPV went away. I agree that leading a healthy life style , as you are doing, helps to boost your immune system. This helps to fight the HPV virus.
    Hpv is a group of more than 150 related viruses. Each virus is given a number which is called its HPV type.
    HPV is so common that nearly all sexually active men and women will get it at some point in their lives.
    In most cases HPV goes away on its own without causing any significant health problems.
    Keep up the good work at maintaining a healthy life style.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.