Has anyone tried yoga or specifically hot yoga?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Has anyone tried yoga or specifically hot yoga?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi all. I just came across an awesome article about the benefits of yoga and, specifically, hot yoga while going through vaginismus treatment. A link to the article can be found here:

http://helloflo.com/how-yoga-comforts-my-vaginismus/

Excerpts include:
    “I have been practicing yoga for a month, four times a week, with a focus on hot yoga classes. As a new student, I have noticed that several positions provide an opening of the hips and that my pelvic area, and muscles, are being opened and stretched in positions that I had never attempted previously. Beyond exercise and stretching, yoga erases my thoughts. Since vaginismus is the root of my anger, jealousy, and insecurities, and as someone who can’t afford a professional therapist at this time in my career, yoga has become my therapeutic practice.”

AND

Balasana (Child’s Pose)
    This resting pose aids and calms the mind. It helps stretch the hips, thighs, and lower back. Your pelvic floor will expand with every breath.
    Malasana
    This full squat pose provides grounding and, like the child’s pose, provides calm. It is a squatting position that tones the entire lower body and the core while lengthening the pelvic floor muscles.
    Supta Baddha Konasana
    This pose stretches the inner thigh, groin, and knees. While in this position, the body open towards the sky, symptoms of depression and stress can be calmed and reduced.
    Ananda Balasana (Happy Baby)
    This position is beneficial for those who sit down for several hours during the day. The healing benefits of this pose include the back and pelvic muscles.”

Has anyone on here tried either regular yoga or hot yoga? What have been your experiences?

I love the idea of using yoga to help with vaginismus. Yoga can strengthen weak pelvic floor muscles and relax tight muscles. Tight muscles are often seen in patients with vaginismus. Viniyoga which coordinates slow movements with breathing. is most suited for this kind of work.
    Doing yoga on a regular basis is correlated with happiness. It also can help with letting go and accepting change.
    So sit in lotus position, rise up into a back bend or soar royally into a king dancer pose. All this could help to ease the treatment of vaginismus.

Many of our patients have found yoga to be helpful not just physically but emotionally as well. We’re so used to doing things fast and we’re always in a hurry, and there’s something to be said about slowing down, noticing how we feel and having a peaceful mind-body connection.

Helen Leff, LCSW

I had to chime in on this topic. Although I am not sure that “hot Yoga” is for everyone , I believe the practice of Yoga can benefit everyone. Here’s the thing: yoga is not a competitive sport and so you can do it at your own pace. Stick with it if at first you don’t think it’s for you because it is a process and your body will learn what it needs to do. Namaste!

Hector123
    Participant

yoga is goood for body health as well as mind health and sexual health. practice of yoga can benefits everyone

Hello,

One more reply about yoga! There is one specific tyoe of yoga that is very helpful for vaginismus, and your body in gebneral. It is called “Restorative Yoga” and is a mix of a few yoga positions at a very slow pace. As the name hints it is not about moving energy around, but restoring your body and letting it rest. During a restorative yoga class you will usually only be in 3 or 4 positions, for about 15 minutes each. This allows your body to relax, and in turn you can also calm your mind, and connect with your body. Here is a quick link to a few restorative yoga poses, which can easily be done at home, with some simple props. http://www.yogajournal.com/category/yoga-101/types-of-yoga/restorative-types-of-yoga/

Hello,

One more reply about yoga! There is one specific tyoe of yoga that is very helpful for vaginismus, and your body in gebneral. It is called “Restorative Yoga” and is a mix of a few yoga positions at a very slow pace. As the name hints it is not about moving energy around, but restoring your body and letting it rest. During a restorative yoga class you will usually only be in 3 or 4 positions, for about 15 minutes each. This allows your body to relax, and in turn you can also calm your mind, and connect with your body. Here is a quick link to a few restorative yoga poses, which can easily be done at home, with some simple props. http://www.yogajournal.com/category/yoga-101/types-of-yoga/restorative-types-of-yoga/

Heather34
    Participant

Restorative Yoga sounds awesome Nicole. Thank you for sharing this!!! :):):)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.