Coping Mechanism List

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

The Forum: I want this Forum to be a wonderful means of support and a place for you to go to not feel alone with vaginismus and to know that you have people who do “get it” and want to be there for you. There has recently been some great posts on ways to de-stress that could be so helpful while going through this. For me personally, while having vaginismus, I felt a great coping mechanism to help me to feel better was to belong to a yahoo forum on vaginismus (the only one that existed at the time). I felt less isolated with this even though I never once posted. I still would read the posts and it somehow helped me to learn more about the condition and eventually led me to finding treatment. Also, while trying to conceive, I, again, found an awesome Forum full of success stories of women who were successful in conceiving using the at-home insemination method as we weren’t having success in getting pregnant the traditional way. I, again, never posted but learned so much from reading the success stories and found so much inspiration in them. If you are reading this right now and have never ever posted, please know that you are still such an important part of the Forum and we are just as much here for you as anyone who does post. It is truly a wonderful community of support. What is a coping mechanism that has worked for you while going through vaginismus?

Great topic, Heather.

Something I have seen to be helpful to patients has been to write a daily gratitude list. Vaginismus has a way of making life feel really, really small. There is so much pain and anguish. Writing a gratitude list is a behavior that can facilitate positive feelings and help us feel more focused on the blessings in our lives, not just the parts that hurt.

Great topic indeed!

Gratitude lists are fantastic ways to see what we do have that rather what we do not. It would be great to hear from others about how they have coped. Several patients have said that journaling about their experience can be very helpful, and helps to get out some of the shame that so often accompanies vaginismus.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.